Some lesser known travel facts of Mumbai that every tourist should know
Mumbai is one of the most happening places in the country. Home to the biggest entertainment industry and also booming in the field of commerce in the field of arts and culture, Mumbai is a city which has a lot to offer to every tourist that visits this place. Being strategically located, Mumbai has always been a hub of activities – both commercial and artistic. But what is it that makes a trip to a place really worth of mention? Well, every trip demands that you do a little bit of research about the place before your visit it. Why? Then, you have the interesting bits about the city with you, which will help you explore it even better!
So, if you are looking for just that perfect trip to Mumbai, here are some really cool and interesting facts about the city, which will surely make your trip all the more fun! From places which are yet to be explored to fun facts about some of the iconic places that this city hosts, let’s journey through some of the lesser known travel facts of Mumbai that makes a visit to this city, completely worth it:
- Well, the Taj Mahal Hotel Mumbai is one of the iconic and finest luxury hotels that this city boasts of. From hosting tourists to business personals, this hotel has been one of the most visited and frequented places located in the heart of Mumbai in Colaba. But did you know, it is one of the oldest hotels in the city and was built way back in 1903! It was built by the Tata Group and has been one of the most premium places to stay. With more than 560 rooms and other suites, if you are looking for a luxury stay in one of the finest areas of Mumbai, then this is the one for you.
- Have you heard of the Gilbert Hill in Mumbai? Well, not many have, but this place is surely one of the hidden gems of the city which calls for a visit by any tourist. It is one of the oldest rock structures that you will find in the country. A handful of people know about this place and even a lesser number know that this structure is actually formed from molten lava. And how many years ago? 65 million years! Its total height is about 200ft and once you climb on to the top, you will find two temples here and not to mention a view that you are most likely to remember for the rest of your life.
- We all know about the Marine Driver and it is one of the most visited and definitely a must visit place in the city. However, did you know that the city has a coastline which stretches till about 150 kilometres? Yes, it’s that long and it’s one of the most beautiful drives that you will find in the city. Walk along the marine drive at night and get a taste of what the city feels like with its huge coastline.
- Mumbai is hailed to be one of the largest and most spread out cities in the country. With the Mumbai traffic making it difficult to travel from one part of the city to another, there is a huge distance that one has to traverse when here. There is a reason, for this, which a lot of people do not know of – Mumbai is spread over such a large area, because it is actually not one, but made up of seven islands! With time as more and more people started residing here and emerging as one of the most important commercial centres of the country because of its port, these islands were soon connected to form one large city, the city of Mumbai as we see it today!
- If you are interested in exploring a scenic part of the city, away from the hustle bustle and noise, but surrounded with greenery, then there is a small part in Goregaon East which offers you the perfect place. Known as Chota Kashmir, because of its natural beauty, if you are looking for some quiet time, you can head out to this place. From boating to picnicking with your family and loved ones, you can enjoy serenity here, since not a lot of people are aware about this place.
- Do you love birds? Are you a particular fan of flamingos? Well, then Mumbai is the city for you! We all know that winter season is the migratory time for birds and if you are in the city during this time, you have to visit the Flamingo Viewpoint at least once. Sewri Jetty is the place to which these birds from Siberia come during the winter months. It is located in South Mumbai and is definitely a favourite spot for those who love flamingos!
- ● Well, apart from these, Mumbai has very interesting activities going around the city as well. While a lot of people know that the night life of the city is very active and happening, not many know that there is a night time heritage bus ride in the city, which takes you for a ride through the city streets, exploring the colonial architectures that define the cityscape. This is ideal for those who are visiting the city for the first time and are interested in finding out about the colonial architectural influences that still stand tall in Mumbai.
It sounds interesting, doesn’t it? Mumbai is and if you are looking forward to enjoying a stay in one of the grandest hotels like taj mahal hotel Mumbai then it is always recommended that you reserve your stay in the city as soon as possible, because they are most likely to be filled up. If you are keen on learning about the culture and heritage that this city has to offer, then take a stroll through the city streets and you will get to explore a lot. So, if Mumbai is the city that is calling out to you, book your stay and head out to the city, now!